Business Case is the first deliverable of any IT Project, it defines the problem, adds business value to IT. A core team from various departments is responsible for develiering it under the ownership of Project Manager, where Project MOVs are identified along with various alternatives. Then various alternatives are compared in terms of:
1) Feasibility: Technology Feasibility, Economic Feasibility, Legal, Social etc
2) Total Cost of Ownership: Direct, Indirect, On-going
3) Total Benefits of Ownership
4) Financial Scoring Models: ROI, NVP, Payback, Breakeven etc
5) Last but not least the recommendation from core team.
Business Case is developed to justify the Business value of the IT Project to the senior management in terms to developing its relevance with organizational goals and strategic objectives.
check out the lecture slides at: