Although Creating IE8 Addons is far easy however to continue the momentum of enhancing UX through Microsoft Products. Another great Silverlight Application is hosted at www.ie8wizard.com . Now what this application does is as follows:
1) Allows You to either Create a Search Provider or Accelerator for Your Site/Blog
2) Lets say You choose to create a search provider
3) Enter the name of Your Search Provider
4) If you have placed the fav icon file on Your Server, point to that else miss the step (as its opitional)
5) If You don’t have Your own Search Engine You can either use Bing, Google or anyother for that and it will ask You to write temp1234 in Your search engine and copy and paste the result URL to the Wizard Textbox
6) Another optional step If You intend to place Search Suggestions for Your Provider that can be either done through XML or JSON
7) A preview Window optional step will come next, leave it as well to reduce the effort and hurdles.
8) In the last step the code for Your Search Provider is ready copy and paste it in the Target XML file on Your Server and create a Button/Link to point to that file (whose code is also generated).
Ask people to download the search provider to search within Your specific website using Bing/Google.
Internet Explorer 8 is the most innovative browser we ever had. Web Slicing is one of the key developer feature introduced in IE8. One can find lot of examples on building dynamic Web Slices. However this code will let the Blogger (blogspot) users to create an IE8 Web Slice for thier Blogs.
Partial Class _Default
Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
Dim query As New FeedQuery
Dim feed As AtomFeed
feed = Nothing
Dim Service As New Service(“_Default”, “IE8-Addons”)
query.Uri = New Uri(“http://www.blogger.com/feeds/XXXXXXX/posts/default?max-results=3?”)
feed = Service.Query(query)
Dim htm As String
Dim itr As String
Dim Slice As String
For Each AtomEntry In feed.Entries
itr = itr & “<a href=” & AtomEntry.AlternateUri.ToString & “> ” & AtomEntry.Title.Text.ToString & “</a></br></br>”
Slice = “<div id=1> <h2-title>My Blog Title</h2> <div-content> <abbr title=15></abbr>”
htm = “<html><head><title>My Blog Title</title></head><body>” & Slice & itr & “</div></div></body></html>”
*** END OF CODE
The example disscues on how to create a WebSlice for Blogger(Blogspot). You are required to do the following steps:-
1) Use the Above Given VB.NET Code
2) Download the Google Library for Blogger
3) In the VB.NET You are required to make the following changes:-
3a) Dim Service As New Service(“Default”, “IE8-Addons”) (Default is the name of my class; IE8-Addons is the name for the Website Project) – Replace as per requirement.
3b) Replace Your BlogId Number with mine (XXXXXXX) in the “http://www.blogger.com/feeds/XXXXXXX/posts/default?max-results=3?”
3c) Replace My Blog Title (String) in the code with Your Web Slice / Blog Title.
This is a simple code to create WebSlice for Blogger, It uses Google API for Blogger, specifically the DLL uploaded. It Create’s a Service Object and Queries for Feed specifying the particular Blog using ID and fetching records as per record. The the later lines generate HTML for the WebSlice and concats the Last three Blog Posts titles and giving the Hyperlink to their specific URLs.