We are sure that everyone who is using IE8 must be playing around a lot with Web Slices, there are various Slices available on the ieaddons.com and You can connect with your favorite websites through them.
We can place a few quick settings for our Web Slices in Internet Explorer 8 which shall be helpful in seeking regular updates through them and being notified when changes are occurred so that the small chunk of a web page of a real time integration of online services should start carry its true meaning.
In the Internet Options in your IE8, Select the Content Tab you will see the option for Feeds and Web Slices click on the settings button next to it and a new window will open. Here in this new window you can place the appropriate settings as in when do you want your slices to be updated, like i have choosen every 15 mins which is the minimum value or check the Advanceed options like Play sound when it finds or update a slice or turn on slice discovery etc.
Your slices will work the way you set them to.
Although Creating IE8 Addons is far easy however to continue the momentum of enhancing UX through Microsoft Products. Another great Silverlight Application is hosted at www.ie8wizard.com . Now what this application does is as follows:
1) Allows You to either Create a Search Provider or Accelerator for Your Site/Blog
2) Lets say You choose to create a search provider
3) Enter the name of Your Search Provider
4) If you have placed the fav icon file on Your Server, point to that else miss the step (as its opitional)
5) If You don’t have Your own Search Engine You can either use Bing, Google or anyother for that and it will ask You to write temp1234 in Your search engine and copy and paste the result URL to the Wizard Textbox
6) Another optional step If You intend to place Search Suggestions for Your Provider that can be either done through XML or JSON
7) A preview Window optional step will come next, leave it as well to reduce the effort and hurdles.
8) In the last step the code for Your Search Provider is ready copy and paste it in the Target XML file on Your Server and create a Button/Link to point to that file (whose code is also generated).
Ask people to download the search provider to search within Your specific website using Bing/Google.